Thursday, March 31, 2016

A Challenge of Disipline

     I know what you're thinking. This guy is NOT one to be talking about any kind of discipline, much less issue a challenge. I do ask you hear me out though.
     In the United Methodist Church, a challenge has been issued for 60 days of prayer for the General Conference coming up. This would cover before, during and after the conference in May. Each day, emailed meditations would be sent out to everyone participating, encouraging, reminding and leading them. It embarrassed me regarding my own lack of daily, intercessory prayer that should be the lifeblood of every Christian. I have multiple daily devotion guides that I forget, push aside for "lack of time", or worse yet, ignore. I want that to stop, and I'm sure others find themselves feeling the same.
     What I want to challenge is this...a series of weekly prayers through the months of April and May. I'll make a post each Friday with a scripture from the Psalms, and a short devotion, and the challenge will be to pray this scripture each day for a week. The next Friday would be a new Psalm and devotion. This would not be to replace anyone's individual prayers, but to supplement them, even provide a structure for those individual prayers to flow more freely.
     For those many churches I have been blessed to be a part of, I would suggest this...go to your pastor, and see what spiritual needs are there for your local congregation. Then gather a group, physically, online or otherwise to commit to praying each week for, not about, their congregation. (Every good gossip knows the difference!) For, not about, their pastor. For, not about, God's will. I believe the results will be staggering!
     I'll post the first of these tomorrow night. I hope this is something that can be helpful to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment