Friday, August 19, 2016

An Open Letter

Dear God,

     Hi it's me. Can I bend your ear for a minute? First, I just want to thank you. You've saved my life so many times. I should have died when my arteries blocked up, but you saw me through. Ten years later, cancer tried to finish the job, but it was no match for you. In every trial, every darkness, your light continued to shine, even if I couldn't see it. Your arms embraced me, even when I couldn't feel them. Your love never failed me, even when I felt no love for myself or anyone else. You are faithful, even when I am faithless. To say you are steadfast seems a very weak way to describe your unchanging love. Yet your love is steadfast, and does not depend on me. While I was still in sin, you loved me. While I was in the womb, you cared for me. From before the world began, you determined to save me; from sin and from myself. I am blessed beyond my worth, because you have deemed me worthy.

     So why does my heart still feel despair? Why does darkness still come? Why does my soul cry out "How long, O Lord, how long?" It is not because your love has changed, but my vision has turned. If I choose to look at the darkness, then its darkness I see. If I look to your light, then darkness must flee. Help me to focus on your light and love. Help me feel your warmth, when the coldness of the world encroaches. Help me to shout your name in praise, even when my voice is the only one I hear. And when I finally see your face, I will remember that is was there all along, even when I would not see.

Your child,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment