Friday, November 4, 2016

November 4th

November 4th is a very special day to me. My niece, Allison, was born on that day. I experienced triple bypass surgery on that day. And 8 years ago, my father passed into glory so richly deserved. I still miss him every day. Love you, dad.

Danny Boy
I rose from a restless sleep.
A melody followed from dream to wakefulness.
A familiar tune, one of my Dad's favorites, mine too.
Played on a trumpet; smooth, clear, tempo rubato.
Like an ocean tide rushing to the shore, then
Reluctantly, slowly, retreating back to the depths.

And I laughed, because my Dad hated the ocean.
Yet the ocean is my haven of rest..
The same melody ran through us both, yet rarely
In sync with each other.
When I heard a trumpet, he heard a guitar.
When I rushed, he slowed.
When I slowed, he rushed.
Still, it was the same, beautiful song.

My family all have variations on that tune.
Some rock, some country, some bluegrass,
classical, even jazz.
Some improvise until you can barely hear the tune at all.
On the surface, a symphony of noise rising to the heavens,
Till the angels cover their ears.
But underneath, the melody stays strong and true.
And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment