Sunday, December 25, 2016

Christmas Date - 1984

Occasionally, I'll read my horoscope, just for the fun of it. I don't believe they can predict my future, but sometimes the generic statements contain a germ of truth. Earlier this week, mine read...

You work in the world of the mind, and you play in the world of the heart. One person brings these two worlds together, and that's a beautiful relationship.

This is one they got so right. Many Decembers ago, I had just finished working with a particular church as music minister, and a Sunday School class there asked me to come to their Christmas party. It was a college age class (I was a little old for it), but I had been wanting to join them, and thought it was a good opportunity. Trouble was, I barely knew anyone in that class.

Well, almost anyone. There was this one girl that I knew from my old school, back when she was 10 and I was 15, and we rode the same bus. Cute kid, used to like to pick on me. Then I noticed that she was at this church, she, her mother and father. They would sit in the forth row, and she and her mother would make faces at me while I was trying to lead the singing without laughing.

So I asked if she would come with me to help me get acquainted with more of the class, to fit in. December 18, 1984. The day my life forever changed for the better, even if I didn't know it then. She took up being in a relationship with a MUSICIAN, which is like suicide, and worse yet, a CHURCH MUSICIAN, which is like slow torture THEN suicide. She made me a better man than I had ever hoped to be. She has stood by me, even when I may not have been entirely worthy. She has been there and seen me through some pretty tough times health wise, more than any woman should have to. She has loved me, comforted me, encouraged me, been strength and hope and love for me. And I hope to have been able to give all this to her as well. My life is complete, because she completes me.

I wish for everyone this kind of love. The love of a person you can trust intimately with your hopes, dreams, heart and soul. Such a love IS out there for everyone.

1. It is always there in God's love.
2. You should always love yourself, just as God loves you.(It's hard to love our neighbor as ourselves, if we don't love ourselves as God loves us!)
3. If you share love with others, the right person will share it back! 

One last thing before I go, Merry Christmas to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment