Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Ballad of Buckeye and Studly

Christmas 1994. Just a few months before my wife-to-be and I were married. We were exchanging presents, as we normally did, with Sherrie and Eddie Johnson, our good friends and the parents of our godsons, Robbie and Terry. As I opened mine from Eddie, I was almost blinded by the bright, red tee-shirt. On the front, in all caps, was one word, "STUDLY". While I won't go into the full story behind that joke, gentle reader, we still laughed a long time about it afterward.

Fast Forward to February 1996, our first anniversary as husband and wife. We traveled to the Smokies with Sherrie and Eddie for a weekend away. One morning, we were walking along a short trail, when Eddie spotted something on the ground. He reached down, picked up a buckeye, and put it in my hand. He said it meant we would always be friends. I keep that buckeye stored away even now.

Eddie Johnson passed away this week after a long fight with a cancer he was told would take him over two years ago. He was a great father, grandfather, son, brother, friend. And true to his word, for 30 plus years, my friend. But he was so much more. He had the heart of an angel, and the mischievousness of an imp.There was nothing he wouldn't do for you, and do it right then, not  "at a later date". He was honest and straightforward with his opinions, and still could love you if he disagreed. When we learned he had passed, it felt like a piece of my heart was gone, and will go one empty from now on. But I'll remember you forever, my friend. That buckeye contract still stands.

Yours, Studly

No comments:

Post a Comment